5/30/2007

Wow, twice in one day...

I don't know what the world is coming to. I've blogged twice in one day. I think the devil has officially put on his L.L. Bean parka, because, ladies and gentlemen, Hell just froze over.

I've changed my layout. I'm in a pink sort of mood. I don't necessarily like wearing pink, but every once in a while, pink does you good.

I'm excited about tomorrow's front page and Graduation insert. Granted, if someone calls me and complains about it, I'll be forced to reach through the phone and rip out their vocal chords. I take constructive criticism well, but I don't take hateful, verbal ass rapes all that great. I take them with a smidgen of violence or at least a little blood splatter.

The new job is pretty sweet. One reason why it's sweet is because I'm not in charge. (Insert sigh of relief here.) I enjoy being the low man on the totem pole working in the shadows trying to get everything just right. Second reason why it's pretty fucking awesome is because I'm doing everything. Well, it's not like I'm running around like an Energizer Bunny trying to literally do everything. I've just got my hand in everything.

Design? Yep. Copy editing? Yep. Writing? Yep. Taking pictures? Yep. Making coffee? Yep. Making advertisements? I've tried. Stuffing coupons? Only with threats of physical harm. Cleaning the toilets? Not yet, but I feel like my time is coming.

Before starting, I loathed writing. Hated it. I don't know why. I think it's because I hadn't found my niche yet. I think I'm kind of a weird writer, because I don't like the dark alley, go for the jugular type journalism. Everyone has a story and not all of them are heart-wrenching. However, at the same time, not all of them are filled with butterflies and kittens.

Another reason why I like writing again is because there's no pressure. My stories don't have to be so fucking awesome that it comes out of the printer coated in sparkles.

There's a lot of pressure working at a college newspaper that's been in the top ten of the "Best College Newspapers in the Southeast" three years running. Even worse is becoming the new editor the year after the newspaper wins "Best College Newspaper in the South."

I felt like I had to (quoting Talladega Nights) wake up in the morning and piss excellence. Not saying that my current employer isn't good. Actually, it's very good and once the dynamic duo, Boss Lady and Guinness Techy Guy, has the new website up and running you should take a look. But it almost felt like every week, every story had to rock the foundation of the college and town and make people's head spin.

I don't want to rock your foundation and don't want to make your head spin. I just want you to read it, enjoy it, and maybe learn something.

And that's why I like where I'm at. Because there's no pressure. I don't have to keep proving myself week after week that I was the right one for the job. I can write because I enjoy it, not because I'm trying to win an award.

And to quote the Boss Lady, that's pretty fucking groovy.





No comments: